How To & Suggestions

Hello,
Just finished my 2nd design with Horizon. It’s really a great piece of software.

Wondering about few things,
1.How to increase font size for Pin numbers ? While ok on screen, on printing they’re quite small to read easily.

2.How to assign plane to “unlabeled” net ? The Net assignment box only lists nets which have been named explicitly. As a solution, I tried naming the net, but now I have “One Label Net” warning in schematic which can’t be disabled.

1. As with 2 above, similarly there may be cases in PCB where some errors needs to waived off or accepted & preserved across multiple checks. Is there a way to do it ?

2. In PCB, How to get Top/Bottom Notes, Outline Notes, Measurements exported in PDF ? Also is there possibility of Frames, Drill Diagrams(perhaps auto-generated) & other info to be created and/or exported in PDF ?

3. I have created my own library pool. But I am unable to create the parametric R/C/L components. There are no Param:Capacitors, Param:Resistors menus at top in my pool’s main menu (which appears on horizon pool I have downloaded) & Parametric Data->Table while creating Part in my pool, shows only “None” option. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
sam

Just finished my 2nd design with Horizon. It’s really a great piece of software.

Always nice to hear that people like Horizon EDA :slight_smile:

Right now, there’s no such option. The pin size is hardcoded in https://github.com/horizon-eda/horizon/blob/master/src/canvas/render.cpp#L597

How to assign plane to “unlabeled” net ? The Net assignment box only lists nets which have been named explicitly. As a solution, I tried naming the net, but now I have “One Label Net” warning in schematic which can’t be disabled.

Click on the crosshair icon next to the net selector and click on a pin or junction on the board.

where some errors needs to waived off or accepted & preserved across multiple checks. Is there a way to do it ?

Not yet, but it’s on my list of features that I’ll eventually implement.

In PCB, How to get Top/Bottom Notes, Outline Notes, Measurements exported in PDF ? Also is there possibility of Frames, Drill Diagrams(perhaps auto-generated) & other info to be created and/or exported in PDF ?

As of now, there isn’t.

• Top/bottom notes should be trivial to add
  • Outline nodes is available
  • Dimensions should be doable, we already have holes as pseudo-layer

Frames aren’t a thing in boards so far.

I have created my own library pool.

Does it inherit from the default pool? Inheriting from the default pool is a good idea to reuse the generic symbols from it.

If you don’t want to inherit from the default pool, you’ll need to copy the tables.json from the default pool to yours.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response.

Regarding the parametric R/C/L components.
Since my pool dosen’t inherit from horizon-pool, I copied tables.json to my pool directory. Effect was that now my pool has parametric components,but all the parametric components are vanished from default pool. Does that mean only 1 pool can have parametric components?

Secondly, when I created inherited parts from generic ones, I populated all the parametric fields (like Value, Tolerance, Wattage for a resistor) which appear properly in pool. But when I place that part onto schematic, these parameters especially value parameter doesn’t appear. Instead usual Inherited/Modified value appears. Is that intended ?

Thirdly can I add additional parameters, such as Temperature Coeffcient etc to these parametric components &/or non-parametric components ?

Thanks again,
sam

I tried this and could not reproduce what you’re seeing. Are you sure you didn’t accidentally move the tables.json to your pool?

Thirdly can I add additional parameters, such as Temperature Coeffcient etc to these parametric components &/or non-parametric components ?

Yes, edit the tables.json. The format isn’t documented anywhere, but should be pretty self-explanatory.

Apart from that are you really sure about creating your own pool from scratch? That means that you can’t easily reuse any of the existing items in the default pool.